“If I could use only one instrument for teambuilding applications with my clients, I’d choose Element B.”
–Henry L. (Dick) Thompson, Ph.D.
People need to work together, and leaders need to manage the interpersonal issues that arise as a result. Element B reveals how a person prefers to interact with others, making it an ideal assessment for improving work relationships and team performance.
HR Professionals, Coaches, Trainers and Consultants use this highly validated instrument to identify behavioral patterns, help people better understand their own and others’ behavior and create action plans.
Element B measures interpersonal behavior in three areas: Inclusion, Control and Openness. Like the FIRO-B before it, Element B is based on FIRO (Fundamental Interpersonal Relations Orientation) theory created by Will Schutz, Ph.D. While the FIRO-B measures only six aspects of interpersonal behavior, Element B provides the same information plus twelve additional measures.
- Identifies interpersonal behavior on 12 scales
- Identifies gaps between what people want and what they get
- Focuses on individual and team development
- Promotes greater organizational effectiveness
- Business-centric report
Element B measures interpersonal interaction across three behavioral dimensions:
- Inclusion—the amount of interaction that a person exhibits toward others, receives from others and wants to exhibit and receive. Inclusion refers to how much interaction a person wants.
- Control—the structure of the interaction that a person exhibits toward others, receives from others and wants to exhibit and receive. Control refers to influence, decisionmaking and being in charge.
- Openness—the depth of interaction that a person exhibits toward others, receives from others and wants to exhibit and receive. Openness refers to sharing of personal feelings and thoughts with others.
|There are twelve primary scales on which scores range from 0 - 9. The differences between what I do and what I want to do and what I get and what I want to get provide six additional scales.
- I include people
- I want to include people
- People include me
- I want people to include me
- I control people
- I want to control people
- People control me
- I want people to control me
- I am open with people
- I want to be open with people
- People are open with me
- I want people to be open with me
- Interpretive Report (13 pages)
- Matrix Report (1 page)
- One Page Report (1 page)
- Matrix Scores (1 page)
- Business-Centric Focus
- Overview of Dimensions
- Assessment Results Matrix
- In-Depth Exploration of Inclusion, Control and Openness
- Team Implications
- Leadership Implications
One Page Report
16 years and older
Number of Items
One Page Report
High Performing Systems offers both online and in-house certification. These interactive, research-based classes prepare participants to give feedback on Element B and use it to work with organizations, teams and individuals. Participants begin by watching webinars and reading material before class. The class itself, only one day, focuses on leading participants to develop a deep understanding of the material by working on case studies and practicing feedback sessions with other participants.
- Complete the instrument and receive written/virtual feedback ($39.95 - normally $79.00)
- Receive professional one-on-one feedback ($149.00)
- To get started call us at 706-769-5836
Introduction to FIRO Element B in Organizations by Henry L. (Dick) Thompson, Ph.D.
Using Element B in Organizations Workbook by Henry L. (Dick) Thompson, Ph.D.
The Human Element by Will Schutz, Ph.D.
FIRO: A Three-Dimensional Theory of Interpersonal Behavior by Will Schutz, Ph.D.
Reusable Wall Charts